Subscribe to Blog via Email
Classical Music: what I do and don’t know
As a guide to contributors, this is what I already know in music, and what I’d like to know more of. The latter is in boldface.
- Stuff between Perotin and Ars Subtilior
- Ars Subtilior
- Stuff between Ars Subtilior and Corelli
- Liked Byrd. Freaked out by Vincenzo Galilei. Liked Schutz.
- Bach, Bach, Bach
- Mozart, Mozart
- Love the Clarinet Quintet, the Requiem, the last symphonies, the Violin Concertos. Liked the operas, need to revisit. Need piano concertos. Needs to be convinced everything else is not fluff
- Beethoven, Beethoven
- Love the symphonies. Challenged by the Grosse Fuge. Know very little else.
- Anything between Beethoven and Wagner
- Love Berlioz Requiem and Symphonie Fantastique, enough not to call him French. Will gradually make peace with Chopin
- Have heard the Ring once, and that was 30 years ago
- Love the 4th. That’s all I know.
- Mahler, Mahler, Mahler
- Berg, Berg
- Love the Violin Concerto and Wozzeck. Not sure I’d love anything else
- Shostakovich, Shostakovich
- Love the symphonies, the preludes & fugues, the cello concertos, and the 8th string quartet. Am OK with Rayok, but it’s not as subversive as he thought it is. Need to know more.
- Stravinsky, Stravinsky
- Know the standard Stravinsky Mark #1 stuff; fascinated by Les Noces. Loved Pulcinella, Symphony of Psalms and Oedipus Rex, need to know more Stravinsky Mark #2 stuff. Doubtful will like Stravinsky Mark #3, but I’m OK with the Requiem Canticles.
- John Adams
- I think I’ve tuned out of what he did post-Klinghoffer though.