Subscribe to Blog via Email
What are some facile equivalences between European countries and Asian countries?
Here’s one that isn’t mine (it’s my friend Suresh’s), but it triggered the question.
Japan is the Britain of Asia.
- Island nation
- Never invaded
- Industrial powerhouse (at least historically)
- Home of whisky (Suntory, Nikka Whisky Distilling)
- Belief in its superiority over, well, everyone
- Emotional constipation. I mean, I defy you to read Jay Liu’s answer to Japanese Etiquette, Behavior, and Habits: Is it true that in Japan it is acceptable to get drunk and tell off your boss? — and not think of a Merchant Ivory film, with characters never able to say what they think.
Based on a novel written by someone Japanese. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!
- Rigid class system.
- Sexual hangups, leading to strange artforms in reaction. In Japan, Bukkake and Hentai. In the UK, Carry On films and Benny Hill.